Hello friends and family!
I hope everyone is enjoying the Summer and finding fun ways to beat the heat!
Todays topic will be about Yoga and what I have learned from my year of re-acquainting myself with it. As I mentioned in 100 Days of Yoga I focused on Yoga during the brutal days of NY heat last summer of 2012. It was an awesome experience and learned a lot from it.
Well a year has passed and wanted to share some ideas and experiences from this year of doing Yoga. Some you may have heard before . But if not I will share them here today anyway.
Be intent on action, not on the fruits of action. …Perform actions, firm in discipline, relinquishing attachment.Bhagavad-Gitã (2.47-48)
- Yoga is a way to focus on your Internal world after dealing with the external world. This means centering yourself while the world goes on.
- A perfect way to learn and listen to your body intimately.
- You can apply what you do in Yoga daily while working at your desk or lifting grocery bags from the store. As in breathing correct posture and breaking the habit of slouching in a chair.
- Yoga is Skill in Action: This comes from the Bhagavad-Gitã . I will let you think about that one on your own.
- Patience becomes a virtue and you learn that being in a rush isn’t that serious. I know I am guilty of this one.
- Abolishing bad habits become easier as you can focus and become more aware of them.
- You will respect eating and be more mindful while eating.
- Once you learn your limits you will want to challenge them in a healthy way.
- Yoga will make other physical activities seem flawless and fluid.
- Yoga is fun!
So these are some reflections and lessons I have had while doing Yoga. Its a journey with no destination. Everyday is a opportunity to learn something more about your own capabilities.
Enjoy the Summer and I will see you soon!